Thursday, April 29, 2010

Learn something new?

A New Skill
Is there a skill related to your hobby that you hope to learn one day? maybe you’re a crocheter who’d also like to knit? Maybe you’d like to learn to knit continental, knit backwards, try cables or attempt stranded colourwork. TAGGING CODE: knitcroblo4

Yes to all of the above....! I have always been a girl to jump in with both feet. Rarely do I let anyone tell me what order the learning should come in.... One of the first things I ever learned to cook, after all, was crepes. If there are directions, I figure I can muddle through!

Actually, The Mom and I took a class in Fair Isle a couple of years ago at SAFF, and I am really glad that I did. The stuff with the left hand was something I did not have the confidence to try on my own.... But I believe that is what it all comes down to, confidence. (I think it is actually the secret of life, confidence, but don't get me started!) Once I was empowered by that brief but useful lesson, I was off!

The next year, The Mom and I took lace knitting, also at SAFF. Nothing against the quality of the class or the instruction, but it was a complete waste of time and money for us... We were already at a skill level where we easily could have done it ourselves. We just hadn't been CONFIDENT enough to trust ourselves to do it. Talk about empowered. Realizing THAT has completely set me free!! I know that there are still things to learn. Goodness knows that I have never knit continental, entrelac, backwards.... But I believe that I can find out how to do it. I can figure out from books and the ever-helpful internet. Last resort, I shall avail myself of the wonderful community of experts at my fingertips on Ravelry! I am a knitter. I am a GOOD knitter! I can do ANYTHING! :-)

Sigh. I love knitting.

6 comments:

Vivianne said...

You go, girl ! :-)

AC said...

I know what you mean--classes for me are usually more about confidence building than learning a ton of skillz.

~RaenWa~ said...

Reading you post makes me want to learn to be more confident in my knitting & giving new things a try its only yarn right.

Anonymous said...

Great post!

rachel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rachel said...

You're so right - trying new things in knitting is all about confidence. You are one fearless, crafty gal!